Sunday, April 12, 2015

Siblings- Relationships to Treasure

So apparently it was just sibling day and it must be fairly new because I have never celebrated it. 

I didn’t see my siblings post our picture on face book and talk about how much they love me either!



Me with my brothers, Dave and Dr. Dan Davidson

I have to say that my favorite face book post that I read was a man who posted his picture and mentioned sibling day and then said- “No, wait, it’s only me!” Bhala ha ha 

For those of you who do not have a sibling, I hope that you have other people in your life that can be next to you through the seasons….and I keep hearing over and over that individuals who are an only child are smarter and more successful!

Sibling relationships should be treasured because they are the longest relationships that you will have in your life. Your parents will pass away. If you are fortunate to find a life time mate to spend your life with, they usually do not enter your life until you are a young adult.

Siblings grow up with you and then continue to go through the remainder seasons of life with you. 

I have two brothers. One is 4 years than me older and one is 5 years younger then me.

 I am like the Oreo cookie in that I am the good stuff in the middle! Blah ah

Let me tell you about my brothers. After our mother died several years ago, we made it a point to meet at a hotel for a couple days for our father and have a little reunion. I was newly divorced and I wanted to present myself that I was doing okay. I did not show up in sweats even though I just drove over 8 hours to meet everyone. No, I rolled my hair and put fresh makeup on. I wore a nice outfit and I even ironed my shirt!

I was feeling rather good about myself about driving the trip with 3 children in tote and looking so presentable. Soon after I got to the hotel, I was lured to the swimming pool area by my sweet, young and innocent nieces and nephews. Then, I was lured closer to the pool by my nephews who were older and oh so sweet and respectful.

Next, I was thrown completely into the pool by my brothers.  Slam dunk all the way under!

I love my brothers to pieces. They both have a fun sense of humor, they love others, and most importantly- they both love Jesus and they strive to be like Him daily.

This picture of us was taken the last time that my brothers and I were all together 4 and a half years ago while our father was having open heart surgery. I had spent the last four days and nights in our father's ICU room until his surgery. I refused to leave my dad's side. My brothers helped me through this difficult time. 

Treasure your family. If you are on the outs with a sibling for some reason, I want to encourage you to put your hurt and pride aside and make amends with them. You are blessed to have them in your life even if the relationship is not perfect. No relationship is perfect. No family is perfect. Look over the flaws and enjoy the gift of having a sibling!


                         Share your favorite sibling memory below!


By Diane Gammon M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counselor
                                   Blog Website LivingWithHopeCounseling.com

No comments:

Post a Comment