Monday, April 20, 2015

Communication Skills- How to Share Your Feelings

It is best to find a time and place to share your feelings with someone that is appropriate for the type of communication that you want to implement.

For instance, you would not want to share something serious or something that may be upsetting to another person when they are in a hurry to leave for work. 

Pick a good time to talk to the person that you want to share your feelings with. It can also be helpful to ask the person who you want to talk to when it is best for them to talk.

It is a great idea to use “I” statements. 


Examples are:
I feel sad when …………
I get frustrated when………
I am at a loss when………….

When you use “I” statements, you do not come across as verbally attacking someone.  

Communication that does not use “I” statements can illicit problems in a relationship and come across as blaming and accusatory to others.

Examples are:
You make me feel……………..
You get me so mad when ………………
You just don’t know when to stop …………

Can you see how someone might get more upset when you do not start out talking by using “I” statements?

Poor Communication:
You make me so mad when you come home for work and don’t talk to me!

Effective Communication:
I feel sad when you do not talk to me when you come home from work.


It just takes mental discipline and practice to use "I" statements and then it will become natural to communicate this way.

Try sharing your feelings with others in a more positive and clear manner by using "I" statements.  

By Diane Gammon M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment