Friday, April 10, 2015

Miscarriage and Infant Loss, Healing an Unspoken Trauma

Since I am celebrating the memory of my infant daughter who passed away 19 years ago this week, I thought that it would be fitting to discuss miscarriage and infant loss. 

It is a topic that is needed to be brought out more so people who are affected can find hope and healing.

My infant daughter that died was born prematurely because my appendix ruptured.

She lived only two hours.

I also suffered 5 miscarriages. 

All of them were due to different circumstances.

I have three babies buried. 

A loss at any stage is a significant loss.   

If you have experienced a miscarriage or infant loss, then you know the deep and agonizing pain of such a loss. It is a loss that others just cannot understand if they have not experienced it. When I lost my babies, there was not anyone that I could talk to about it. 

Unfortunately, it is a subject that people are not comfortable with discussing. People literally avoided me after my losses. They did not know how to handle it.

After my daughter died, I went to a support group once a month for a year for miscarriage an infant loss. I yearned for the one evening a month all month long because it was the only time and place where I could talk and share about my losses and be understood.

My suggestion to others who have experienced such a loss is to connect to a support group.

I attended one through a hospital and they had a memorial service every Christmas in honor of our babies. Each year, I was given an ornament for each baby that I lost with their name on it. In the summers, we met at a park and released balloons into the sky in our babies’ memory. 

It was all very helpful and comforting.

My other suggestion to those of you who have suffered a loss is to allow yourself to go through the stages of grief. A counselor can help you work through them specifically.

1.      Denial
2.      Anger
3.      Bargaining
4.      Depression
5.      Acceptance

It is important to talk to someone who will listen and understand about your loss if you have experienced such a tragedy.  

Healing is possible!

I personally believe that my babies are with Jesus.

But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.” Luke 18:16

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139:13-16

                      Please share your comments and personal experiences so that we can promote awareness and healing ............and so others can pray for you! 

   In precious memory of Cammie Rose, Chantel Grace, and Caitlin Diane 

By Diane Gammon M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counselor

                                                       Blog Website LivingWithHopeCounseling.com


No comments:

Post a Comment