Sunday, April 19, 2015

STRESS- You Can Manage It

When you are having a stressful day, how do you call the kids for dinner?  “Kids, get in the van!” (Going to a drive through).

Putting yourself in a time out when you are stressed can be helpful. Oh I do this. One day one of my teenagers was adding stress to my already stressful day and I asked her for a break with our conversation. 

We were both upset from what we were discussing. Oh no- she would not have it. She wanted to keep the heated conversation going.

I literally threw myself in a time out in the bath tub. I had a candle and music to boot.

Now when you get over 30, your teenager thinks you are old and gross, so they will NOT follow you into the bathtub!

They can hardly stand to look at you when you are fully dressed!

LAUGH! That is the best de-stressor!!!!!!!!

Learn to say no. 
Take a walk. 
Pray. 
Talk to a friend. 
Exercise. 
Prioritize. 
Write a to do list- Re-write it when you need to.
Read a book.  
Massage your temples. 
Stretch.  
Take deep breaths.
Journal. 
Rest.

The most important thing is to ask yourself what is causing your stress and then to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! TAKE ACTION to make changes after you calm thyself down! 

If you do not learn to mange your stress, it will eat at you and cause a multitude of illnesses.   

My best friend tells me all the time that stressed backwards is desserts. If I am going to have a treat, I make it myself. I bake banana bread with real bananas and I use honey instead of sugar. I add in some organic cocoa from the health food store---------- which by the way, I just read that cocoa helps to keep your arteries clean (without sugar). I pretend they are brownies. 

And- Mind over matter! Tell yourself that you will be okay when you are stressed! 

Your feelings and your behaviors will follow your thought process. 

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6,7.

By Diane Gammon M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counselor



  

No comments:

Post a Comment