Saturday, April 11, 2015

Raw Fruit and Vegetables - Drink to Your Health

I heard my entire life that fruit and veggies are healthy. I remember growing up thinking that it was “ADULT FOOD”. 

My father had a huge garden when I was growing up and I did what ever I could to GET OUT of working in the garden and I NO INTEREST in eating from it.

My 'Popsi' & I - My Life & Health Coach & Best Friend, Dr. Donald Davidson D.C.

We had so many tomatoes that my dad gave them away by the large brown grocery sacks... and I didn't eat a one. I don’t think I ate a tomato until I was ……… hmmmmmmmm maybe in my 40’s! 

What I wouldn’t give for his tomatoes now! 

I thought that my dad was weird eating from his garden. I remember watching him picking fresh greens for his salad every night and I swore that I would never do such a thing. They were dark green and looked like leaves. I had only heard of iceberg lettuce back then and thought that he was crazy to eat this dark leafy crop every night. 

I also thought it was a hobby for old, boring people! Bla ha ha ha ha!

Fast forward a few decades. I would give anything to have my father’s garden now. I wish that I did not take it for granted. I eat dark green leafy salads daily now. I even drink them.  

A few years ago, I became very ill from chronic physical and mental stress and my father suggested that I juice vegetables. I felt better within days and I have juiced ever since.

Today, about 80% of my daily diet is raw fruits and vegetables.

I juice my own vegetable juice every morning and throughout the day.

I also make smoothies with the same raw vegetables and add in a variety of berries and seeds. This way, I also get the fiber from the veggies as juicing and blending have different nutritional benefits.

What we put into our body either prevents or feeds disease.

I continue to eat healthy to be able to be around long enough to be a pain to all of my adult children as long as I can – Blah ah ha ha ha –

I also eat healthy to be around to know all of my grandchildren and future grandchildren. ...................But I won't be the Granny who gives sugary treats! 

Further, I eat healthy to take care of the body in which the Lord has blessed me with.

Now while it may sound extreme, it has taken me years to slowly evolve to eating this healthy.

When I suggest eating healthier to others, they reply back that they cannot afford it.

My suggestion is to slowly replace and change one thing in your diet at a time.

For example, you may want to start out replacing refined white sugar when you bake – with raw organic honey instead. 

You can buy a bag of raw carrots to munch on instead of potato chips.

You can carry raw almonds with you to snack on instead of a chemically processed snack bar. 

Point being, you can make one small change at a time to put forth an effort to eat healthier!

That way, it is not an added expense and it is not overwhelming.    

I found that if I carry healthy snacks with me then I won't have the urge to buy something quick that is usually unhealthy. 

I always have a banana, raw almonds, and an orange in my purse. Yes, it is true. I am a health food geek -and proud of it! Because- along with Jesus, it saved my life. 

Now- and I cannot say it enough........... I TREASURE MY HEALTH! 

Please treasure your health too! 
           
Thank you to my 'Popsi' for teaching me to eat my veggies!

Please share your ideas about eating healthier and how YOU did it by commenting below! 

By Diane Gammon M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counselor


No comments:

Post a Comment