Friday, May 22, 2015

Parenting 101- Reinforcing Good Behavior Helps Them To Continue

As parents, we often set rules and guidelines for our children to follow. When they do not follow through with what we expect of them, there are consequences for their behaviors.

However, how many of us parents take the time to reinforce our children and teens positive behaviors on a consistent basis?

Think of ways in which you can reinforce your children and teens positive behaviors and write them down to help you to implement them.    

Some suggestions are simply to verbally point out good behaviors to them. Let them know that you noticed their good behavior. 

You can reinforce positive behaviors by telling your children that you are proud of them. 

You can acknowledge and reinforce appropriate behaviors by writing a note to your child, renting them a movie, planning a special fun time together, giving them an extra privilege, GIVING THEM MORE OF YOUR TIME, and so on. 

For young children, you can make a chart and have them put on stickers when they do what is expected of them with a great attitude. 

The important thing is to acknowledge that you notice and appreciate your child’s good behaviors which in turn will reinforce it.

I make it a point to tell my teenager multiple times a day that I am proud of her. I tell her face to face. I have a notebook on the kitchen counter and I write it down daily to her in a note. 

I also write it down on an index card along with a positive quote and / or scripture and place it in her lunch daily. 

On this index card, I also tell her that she is my sunshine and for her to be the sunshine for Jesus during her day at school.

Along with telling her how proud I am of her in many ways all day, I also tell her how much that I love her several times a day also.

I also point out specifically what all I am proud of her for and I try and thank her and acknowledge when she is helpful and when I see her trying her best.

Positive Reinforcement Parenting……..It Works!   

 Diane Gammon M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counselor



                                           Blog Website LivingWithHopeCounseling.com

No comments:

Post a Comment