Friday, May 5, 2017

A Letter To My Inner Child

This Blog is written by a Guest Blogger:
Inner Child-... this is something I didn't believe I had. When I was in treatment, they always talked about how to care for your inner child and I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. But as time went on and I started to piece my whole 22 years of life together, it started to make sense. My inner child was deep down in me somewhere it just has taken more time to get in touch with her. I was a happy child, a carefree child, one that loved to laugh and play and be silly but when I was deep into my eating disorder and depression, I lost her. She no longer allowed herself to laugh and play and be silly... she thought these things that kept her happy were no longer okay. 
In treatment, we did different exercises to try and find the inner child that was somewhere inside of us, wanting to be loved and cared for and just to simply be happy again...
This is when I started writing letters to my 4 year old self. I remember that at 4 years old a lot of good happened. I became a big sister and LOVED every second of it. so that's why I chose 4 year old me. Here's a letter that I recently wrote to my inner child...

Dear my sweet 4 year old girl,
Never forget how capable you are to do amazing things. Never forget your beautiful inside and out. Never forget you are dearly loved. Never forget that your worth doesn't come from a scale or from what others say. Never forget that you don't have to change yourself just to be accepted. Never forget to embrace the true you. Never forget that YOU ARE BEYOND WORTHY! But most importantly, Never forget who you are!!!

Love always, 22 year old you 💕

Finding your inner child is hard. Hell it took me YEARS to even believe she was somewhere in there but once you find him or her, it will change your life and will definitely teach you all about grace and compassion.


Inner child therapy is an excellent therapy for adults who had a trauma in childhood. Trauma can actually change the development of the brain. If you had a trauma in your childhood, you may be somewhat “stuck in childhood” developmentally in some way. Everyone can probably benefit with the inner child therapy work. Working with our inner child helps us go back to erase, confront, or deal with the painful memories that have been lurking in the brain since childhood. 

We identify fears that we have had for years and learn to love and accept ourselves from an adult perspective. We build upon our fragile self-esteem and learn to comfort ourselves in healthy new ways.
There are some that say that the inner child is our true “self”. It is the small child within all of us that never grew up. Even in adults who had a healthy childhood still have an inner child that still exists within.
Reference: http://www.creativecounseling101.com/find-your-inner-child.html

CLICK HERE For Living With Hope Counseling Facebook Page AND "LIKE" IT!
 



Blog By 
                Diane Davidson Gammon M.S.
             Clinical Mental Health Counselor 
 Diane Davidson Gammon MS is clinically supervised by Michael Loftis LCSW as she pursues  LPC-MHSP licensure.

Weekly Support Groups for Depression, Anxiety, Grief, and Trauma for Adults of all ages and teenage Girls.

Registration is required for each meeting. 

Email Diane:
Diane@LivingWithHopeCounseling.com to register or for more information  

 Open Full-Time Days - Monday through Saturday
With Evening Appointments

Sliding Scale Fee for Individual Counseling Sessions 

Free Support Groups for: Depression, Anxiety, Panic, Hopelessness, Trauma, PTSD, Abuse, and Grief and Loss
  

 


  





 





 









 




No comments:

Post a Comment