Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Making Peace With Your Past



Sometimes it is not what is in front of you that is a road block to what you are pursing in your life but it is something in your rear view mirror. 

Although we can try, it is can very difficult to leave the past in the past. Our mind goes back and revisits the past and then we relive our mistakes, traumas, anger, and regrets over and over again.
While it is important to bring these up to the surface to work through them, once we do that, we have to let them go and leave them in the past.

The best way to do this is to train your mind to let the past stay in the past.

While you may not have control over thinking of something, you do have the choice not to dwell on it and let it take over your emotions.

Focus on your life now and look to your future!

Sometimes it may be troublesome to move on from your past because there is still something that you need to do to make amends before you can move on. Perhaps it is forgiving someone. It may be that you have not been able to let go of someone.

Whatever it is, ask yourself what might be holding you back. Acknowledge it. Confront want you truly believe that you need to do to move past it and do it.

Allow yourself to reflect at your life and circumstances of what you are going through. Try looking at it as a third party. What would you tell a close friend or family member to do if they asked you?

It is helpful to be aware and then to understand why you are having a difficult time letting go and moving on.  

Accept what was and is and tell yourself that - YOUR PAST DOES NOT DEFINE YOU!

Leave what you need to let go of in the past.

When it creeps back up, tell yourself, “I am past this. I have let this go! I am healed! I DO NOT AND WILL NOT dwell on it nor will I let it consume my emotions any longer.”

Then, concentrate on the here and now and what lies before you.

Journal your values and aspirations and drive forward without looking in your review mirror any more except to say, "I am moving forward and I do not need to dwell in my past any longer."

We all have a past. They are all different. Mine was painful due to multiple traumas. Then, I made some decisions in my life that I wish I had not made due to my pain. However, my pain, traumas, and my mistakes do not define me! 

Right now, visualize carrying around heavy stones with you as you do everything in your life (representing things that you need to let go of)That would be difficult to carry those and keep moving forward, right? Now visualize placing them in a row and using them as stepping stones to move forward in your life. 

LEARN from your past! Turn your mess into a message!

Then when your past calls again- tell yourself, "I don't need to answer that call as it has nothing new to say! "

Seek help and talk to someone if need be. There is a whole new life out there waiting for you!


an oldie but goodie
There is always hope! 

CLICK HERE For Living With Hope Counseling Facebook Page AND "LIKE" IT!
 



        
 By Diane Davidson Gammon MS
Clinical mental Health Counselor


Disclaimer- I am not a doctor and I am not giving out medical advice. My blogs are for information and inspirational purposes. Please consult your doctor before starting a new health regimen.

Diane Davidson Gammon Arnold MS is clinically supervised by Michael Loftis LCSW as she pursues  LPC-MHSP licensure



 Open Full-Time Days - Monday through Saturday
With Evening Appointments
615-556-8406
Email- Diane@LivingWithHopeCounseling.com

Sliding Scale Fee for Individual Counseling Sessions 

Free Support Groups for: Depression, Anxiety, Panic, Hopelessness, Trauma, PTSD, Abuse, and Grief and Loss (Including Miscarriage/ Stillbirth/ Infant loss)

 Have Hope! Renew Health! and...........




 
  

 


















No comments:

Post a Comment