Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Emotional Triggers To Emotional Pain.......... During The Holidays

The onset of the holiday season is a trigger for me personally to emotional pain. It is when I think of and miss my mother the most. 

My mother passed away 23 years ago. I miss her the most between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even though I have other loved ones in my life, I still miss her and I grieve for her each year and especially at Christmas.

I just want to share that it is okay to grieve for someone or something and still be very thankful for your present circumstances in your life! It does not mean that you are not thankful for your blessings.


It is helpful to be aware of which circumstances may be an emotional trigger for you that connects to a difficult feeling for you. 

It is also helpful to allow yourself to feel what you are feeling and to not suppress the feelings.

It will not make you feel worse by letting the feelings surface and to acknowledge them........... as long as you then - choose to not focus on them and/ or let them bring you down. 

Let them surface- then tell yourself that you are okay and utilize positive coping skills such as drawing, writing, walking, slow deep breaths, reach out to friends, etc.

It is also helpful to do something special and meaningful in correlation to your loss and / or emotional pain. Some ideas are: Donate a book to your local library in someone's name, make an ornament in memory of someone or something, volunteer, pay acts of kindness forward in creative ways. 

In memory of Darlene Davidson 


 CLICK HERE For Living With Hope Counseling Facebook Page AND "LIKE" IT!

 


   Diane Davidson 
                               Gammon M.S.
         Clinical Mental Health Counselor

 Open Full-Time Days - Monday through Saturday
With Evening Appointments

615-556-8406

Email- Diane@LivingWithHopeCounseling.com

Sliding Scale Fee for Individual Counseling Sessions 

Free Support Groups for: Depression, Anxiety, Panic, Hopelessness, Trauma, PTSD, Abuse, and Grief and Loss (Including Miscarriage/ Stillbirth/ Infant loss)

Disclaimer- I am not a doctor and I am not giving out medical advice. My blogs are for information and inspirational purposes. Please consult your doctor before starting a new health regimen.

Diane Davidson Gammon MS is clinically supervised by Michael Loftis LCSW as she pursues  LPC-MHSP licensure











No comments:

Post a Comment