Wednesday, December 20, 2017

I'll Pass on a Miserable Christmas

I've spent several Christmas holidays in some not so pleasant conditions but have been usually rescued by an invitation, often last minute.

However, Christmas of 2016, I spent the entire day by myself.  It was kind of miserable.

Early on, I decided that this Christmas would be different.

I've never bought a Christmas tree for myself.  But this year I bought one from the grocery store lot and put it up . . . the day after Thanksgiving.

One string of lights was not enough, so I added another strand.  After adding pine cones, I thought my minimalist tree was great.

But then the wife of a friend found out about my tree and offered her excess ornaments.  I accepted and spent part of an evening adding them.  A few days later I added some candy canes.

But the Christmas cheer did not last long.

The last two weeks have been utterly miserable.  I have a catastrophe unfolding in my business.  I'm terrified.   I'm stressed.  Everything I've built over the last several years is teetering on the edge of a cliff.  I may go from zero debt to many thousands in debt.   I'm utterly panicked.  My entire life has been on hold for the last two weeks as I've tried to resolve this.

It was only just today that I realized Christmas is next week.  I had no plans.

I had some vague idea that I wanted a Christmas meal.  Not being much of a cook, I figured I'd order something from the Fresh Market.

Then I thought how great it would be to share the meal with someone else.

A young couple from church came to mind, so I emailed them and asked if they were busy on Christmas and that if they were not, they were welcome to come to my place.  

They were quick to accept.  To tell you the truth, I was momentarily stunned.  I thought I was just being considerate.  I never actually expected them to accept.

I upgraded my meal order and added an apple pie.

I've no idea if the unfolding catastrophe will be a train wreck by the end of the week.  My personality is such that when I'm dealing with a problem, it consumes me.  I brood.  I get miserable.  Everything goes dark.  I bitterly question why God made me.

The big challenge for me this coming week is to somehow let go of this impending doom, play host and enjoy serving my guests.

I have an example.

Facing the worst doom imaginable,  Christ not only hosted a Passover meal, he served his fellow disciples by washing their feet. 

By a contributing blogger, David Mueller 

CLICK HERE For Living With Hope Counseling Facebook Page AND "LIKE" IT!

 


   Diane Davidson 
                               Gammon M.S.
         Clinical Mental Health Counselor

 Open Full-Time Days - Monday through Saturday
With Evening Appointments

615-556-8406

Email- Diane@LivingWithHopeCounseling.com

Sliding Scale Fee for Individual Counseling Sessions 

Free Support Groups for: Depression, Anxiety, Panic, Hopelessness, Trauma, PTSD, Abuse, and Grief and Loss (Including Miscarriage/ Stillbirth/ Infant loss)

Disclaimer- I am not a doctor and I am not giving out medical advice. My blogs are for information and inspirational purposes. Please consult your doctor before starting a new health regimen.

Diane Davidson Gammon MS is clinically supervised by Michael Loftis LCSW as she pursues  LPC-MHSP licensure
















No comments:

Post a Comment